Code of Ethics as a Christian Coach
In addition to the ethical codes of our accreditation bodies, we abide by the following Ethical Code
Section 1: Core Values
In pursuance of training and/or coaching, whether for gain or not, all Christian Coaching Federation Coaches will at all times endeavour to abide by our core principles:
- Personal Growth
- Christian Values
These core values form the foundation of our existence as coaches and will guide our behaviour and conduct in the following manner:
Section 2: Professional Conduct as a Coach:
- I will not knowingly make any public statement that is untrue or misleading about what I offer as a coach, or make false claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession or my credentials or the CCF.
- I will conduct myself in accordance with the CCF Code of Ethics in all coach training, coach mentoring, and coach supervisory activities.
- I will conduct and report research with competence, honesty, and within recognized scientific standards and applicable subject guidelines. My research will be carried out with the necessary consent and approval of those involved, and with an approach that will protect participants from any potential harm. All research efforts will be performed in a manner that complies with all the applicable laws of the country in which the research is conducted.
- I will maintain, store, and dispose of any records created during my coaching business in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security, and privacy, and complies with any applicable laws and agreements.
- I will use CCF member contact information (e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, etc.) only in the manner and to the extent authorized by the CCF.
- I will seek to avoid conflicts of interest and potential conflicts of interest and openly disclose any such conflicts. I will offer to remove myself when such a conflict arises.
- I will disclose to my client and his or her sponsor all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may pay or receive for referrals of that client.
- I will only barter for services, goods or other non-monetary remuneration when it will not impair the coaching relationship.
- I will not knowingly take any personal, professional, or monetary advantage or benefit of the coach-client relationship, except by a form of compensation as agreed in the agreement or contract.
- I will refer a client to another coach if I am not within my area of expertise or comfort, so the client gets the best possible coaching.
- I hold myself accountable to the highest level of integrity, honouring Jesus Christ individually and corporately, in all my associations with clients and colleagues.
- I will give credit where credit is due for materials supplied by other sources, respecting copyrights, trademarks and intellectual property.
- I will recognize and honor the efforts and contributions of others and not misrepresent them as my own. I understand that violating this standard may leave me subject to legal remedy by a third party.
- I will actively pursue well being, wholeness, and continual learning in my own life.
- I will honour my Christian values in my professional conduct, placing neither blame nor blemish on the name of Christ, the Christian Coaching Federation or the coaching profession.
Section 3: Professional Conduct with Clients
- I will not knowingly mislead or make false claims about what my client or sponsor will receive from the coaching process or from me as the coach.
- I will not give my prospective clients or sponsors information or advice I know or believe to be misleading or false.
- I will have clear agreements or contracts with my clients and sponsor(s). I will honour all agreements or contracts made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
- I will carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching client and sponsor(s) understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement or contract.
- I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact I may have with my clients or sponsors.
- I will be clear with my clients about the nature of the coaching relationship, including structure, fees, refunds, expectations and guarantees.
- I will respect the client’s right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement or contract. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
- I will encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if I believe the client or sponsor would be better served by another coach or by another resource.
- I will suggest my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
- I will represent myself honestly and clearly to my clients, and coach only within my areas of expertise.
- I will accurately identify my coaching qualifications, expertise, experience, certifications and CCF Credentials.
Section 4: Confidentiality/Privacy
- I will maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client and sponsor information. I will have a clear agreement or contract before releasing information to another person, unless required by law.
- I will never give a client’s name to anyone, for any purpose, without express permission from the client.
- I will have a clear agreement upon how coaching information will be exchanged among coach, client, and sponsor.
- When acting as a trainer of student coaches, I will clarify confidentiality policies with the students.
- I will have associated coaches and other persons whom I manage in service of my clients and their sponsors in a paid or volunteer capacity make clear agreements or contracts to adhere to the CCF Code of Ethics
Section 5: Conflict of Interest
- I will judiciously avoid conflicts of interest. If any should arise, I shall, without delay, inform concerned parties of my position.
- I will, at all times, strive to recognize personal issues that may impair, conflict, or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional coaching relationships. Whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate, I will promptly seek professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s).
Section 6: My Pledge as a Professional CCF Coach:
As an CCF Professional Coach, I acknowledge and agree to honour my ethical and legal obligations to my coaching clients and sponsors, colleagues, the coaching industry and to the public at large. I pledge to comply with the CCF Code of Ethics, and to practice these standards with those whom I coach.
I will support the Christian Coaching Federation to further professional coaching among believers.
If I breach this Pledge of Ethics or any part of the CCF Code of Ethics, I agree that the CCF in its sole discretion may hold me accountable for so doing. I further agree that my accountability to the CCF for any breach may include sanctions, such as loss of my CCF membership and/or my CCF Credentials.